The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

News & Ideas Forum (Closed for new topic posts)
Is Tele-Immersion Hype or Reality?

1 reply on 1 page. Most recent reply: Feb 28, 2003 3:42 AM by Berco Beute

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Tim Beneke

Nickname: starlover

Is Tele-Immersion Hype or Reality? Posted: Feb 27, 2003 1:00 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
It will eliminate a lot of business travel, bring families together and improve life generally according to Lanier. He argues this in an interview at Sun Microsystems' java site:

http://java.sun.com/features/2003/02/lanier_qa2.html

This sounds exciting but it is hard to know how much is hype. Does anyone have any intuitions/impressions about the likelihood of this technology profoundly altering our social/family/business lives? Hard to separate the hype from the possibilities...

Berco Beute

Nickname: berco

Re: Is Tele-Immersion Hype or Reality? Posted: Feb 28, 2003 3:42 AM
Reply to this message Reply
IF this technology would exist it would certainly affect our lives. I think the technology already exists in a primitive form. I'm using video-conferencing systems a lot for my work, and it occured to me that during long meetings I tend to forget that the other person is at the other side of the country. Although not nearly as fancy as what Lanier describes, it does touch upon the same social issues. When we arrive at the technological level Lanier is talking about the experience will only be more dramatic.

PS: An interesting quote from the interview is:

"And there's another element, which is really important to me -- working on biological metaphors. If you look at the viruses that are floating around and how expensive they are, the kind of monoculture we have on PCs is a terrible security risk. What you really want is some balance between sanitization and variety so that you have robustness. I think Java systems achieve that balance much more effectively than anchored OS systems. And I think that's going to be a surprise driving software at some point in the future."

Couldn't agree more. Biological systems survive by their inherent diversity. Or as Frank Zappa used to say, "without deviation from the norm progress is not possible".

Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Topic: Scripters in the Enterprise Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: ServiceUI Passes General House Vote

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use