The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
CEDSimply - Python Sprechen sie Espanol nan desu Ka?

2 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: May 27, 2006 3:23 AM by Andy Dent

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Andy Dent

Nickname: andydent

CEDSimply - Python Sprechen sie Espanol nan desu Ka? (View in Weblogs)
Posted: May 15, 2006 7:36 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
What if you could write Python code with an alternate interpreter/preprocessor that allowed you to use different keywords in your native tongue, including ideogrammic languages? This proposition comes from a thought that Python semantics may be flexible enough to act as a VM for the new CEDSimply language.
Advertisement

I introduced the concept of flexible syntax in English-centric Programming Languages vs DSLs and mentioned the origins of CEDSimply earlier.

This morning I woke up with a very compelling thought - feel free to tell me I'm still just dreaming :-)

It comes together something like this:

1. the semantics of Python's textual representation are compatible with CEDSimply (semantics yet to be published)
  2. the CEDSimply ability to use different "dialects" or "vocabularies" would therefore allow you to write Python in a native tongue but still translate it to English Python for a different consumer
  3. having a CEDSimply implementation on top of Python and thus directly able to be deployed in any Python implementation includes some very big batteries!

So, is the thought of a multingual Python appealing?

Kay Schluehr

Nickname: schluehk

Re: CEDSimply - Python Sprechen sie Espanol nan desu Ka? Posted: May 25, 2006 2:55 PM
Hi Andy,

I also woke up this morning and I thought it would be a good day to create a simple language. So I came up with "Teuton".

http://www.fiber-space.de/EasyExtend/doc/EE.html

I stole this idea from you - but refering to this blog entry which creates together with this comment some kind of circularity. I used EasyExtend for the simple part of this job and it became a snippet. The hard stuff is not yet done and I'm not sure I'm ever going to do so. It's not so much wrapping the std-lib which is tedious but simple and requires just diligence but all kinds of messages which are sent by the interpreter.

I also did not yet implement a back-translation to english Python code. The prettyprint function of the EasyExtend framework ( implemented in cst2source.py of the EasyExtend distribution ) does not work correct yet. But what should work for builtin names in general will fail for user defined -- making a programming language a kind of universal translator is very tempting of course :)

Regards,
Kay

Andy Dent

Nickname: andydent

Re: CEDSimply - Python Sprechen sie Espanol nan desu Ka? Posted: May 27, 2006 3:23 AM
EasyExtend looks very interesting and I've added it to our list of Python tools - may be useful for some scientific programming we're doing where end-users are scripting in Python.

In terms of Python translations, I was browsing Sourceforge and came across a complete translation

http://www.chinesepython.org/

Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Topic: CEDSimply - Python Sprechen sie Espanol nan desu Ka? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Security and Agility: Never the Twain Shall Meet?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use