The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
PyCon 2007: Call for Topics and Session Idea Feedback

2 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Oct 26, 2006 7:28 AM by Jacob Kaplan-Moss

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
David Goodger

Nickname: goodger

PyCon 2007: Call for Topics and Session Idea Feedback (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Oct 25, 2006 7:15 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
In which your humble narrator ponders what to speak about and asks for community input.
Advertisement

PyCon 2007 is to be held in Addison (Dallas), Texas on February 23-25. There's less than a week left to submit talk proposals, and only 3 weeks left to submit tutorial proposals. So it's time to hustle.

I've been thinking giving one or two talks and/or a tutorial, but I'm not sure what to present. I'd like to talk about language features or general programming topics that would be of use to programmers in the wild, along the lines of Jeff Rush's Talks at PyCon that Teach How to Be Better Programmers post. Something like "Generators 101", "Decorate-Sort-Undecorate & Other Essential Python Idioms", "Selected Design Patterns", or "Objects, Identifiers, & Namespaces". So, if you're thinking of attending PyCon, what topics would you find useful? 30/45 minute talk, or 3 hour paid tutorial (on February 22)? Please reply in a comment here or by email (goodger at python dot org).

Would people like a Docutils/reStructuredText-related talk? What about, specifically?

Another idea I had was to have an interactive Q&A session, without prepared slides or examples, depending on the audience for questions. This could be titled "Ask An Expert" (or, if others joined in, "Ask The Experts"). Would you be interested in that? In what form (scheduled talk, 3-hour paid tutorial, informal "open space" session)?

Other ideas are welcome too! I'll summarize the ideas I receive and share them on the PyCon organizers/volunteers mailing list in time for last-minute proposals.

Carl Trachte

Nickname: geocarl

Re: PyCon 2007: Call for Topics and Session Idea Feedback Posted: Oct 25, 2006 9:27 AM
I attended your text tutorial last year. It helped me a lot. Thanks.

Iterators and generators and how to use them to do useful stuff is something I'd like to see. There's good information on this (and on the idioms you mention in your post) in the O'Reilley Python Cookbook. Still, sometimes seeing is believing.

See you in February.

Jacob Kaplan-Moss

Nickname: jacobian

Re: PyCon 2007: Call for Topics and Session Idea Feedback Posted: Oct 26, 2006 7:28 AM
Personally, I'd love a talk on extending docutils and/or docutils internals. Some guidance on how all the pieces -- readers, writers, transforms, ... -- fit together would be awesome.

Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Topic: PyCon 2007: Call for Topics and Session Idea Feedback Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: The Importance of Recursive Types

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use