The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Articles Forum
Considering Closures for Java

19 replies on 20 pages. Most recent reply: Feb 10, 2007 11:33 PM by Neal Gafter

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 19 replies on 20 pages [ « | 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 20  | » ]
Bill Venners

Nickname: bv

Re: Considering Closures for Java Posted: Dec 21, 2006 8:13 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
> Well, good proposal. Closures are necessary in
> programming. But Java is getting bloated...perhaps a new
> language should emerge, one that's based on functional
> programming but with enough freedom to easily do things?

I don't think it's an either-or choice. I was skeptical of adding closures to Java at this late date in the language's history, but was impressed with Neal's presentation at JavaPolis. Even though I did read the first version of their proposed spec, I didn't quite have time to study it enough to grok it deeply. Once I saw his presentation and got to ask him questions afterwords, I quite liked their proposal.

I think we should continue to try and improve Java as much as is possible at this point. I know that each thing you add adds bloat, increases surface area, so the benefit of each new feature has to outweigh the cost of added bloat. But the closures proposal I think shows it is still possible to make enhancements where the benefit outweighs the cost. I and a lot of other people will be using Java for a long time to come, and I don't think Java is good enough to freeze it at this point.

On the other hand, I also think it would be a good to foster and nourish the growth and acceptance of other languages on the JVM, and let the market decide which ones should "win." Having a stable Java might make it a bit easier for other languages to integrate nicely with Java, but still, on the whole I hope we can do a few more things to Java to ease existing pain points when programming in Java.

Flat View: This topic has 19 replies on 20 pages [ « | 5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13 | » ]
Topic: Refactoring the EJB APIs Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Spring Clustering with Terracotta

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use